Everything is better when we are rested. Restorative yoga is a form of yoga that helps us access the deeply rested state of being that most of us rarely feel in the hustle and bustle of our lives. Primarily developed by Judith Hanson Lasater, a student of B.K.S. Iyengar, this form of yoga is designed to help you unlock the relaxation response by allowing you to rest comfortably in yoga postures supported by props for between 10 – 30 minutes.
The specific postures used in Restorative yoga are designed to help you achieve physical, mental and emotional balance by:
- soothing the nervous system by triggering the parasympathetic nervous system
- calming the mind
- deepening the breath
- stimulating greater circulation throughout the body especially to your vital organs
- opening your body’s connective tissues and stimulating cranial/sacral release
- cultivating heightened body awareness
- deepening self-awareness and deliberate action
- and creating a deeper connection between body, mind and spirit.
Each session will begin with an assessment of which postures will be of most benefit to you based on your physical, emotional and mental intentions.